Sunday, August 27, 2006

Five Corners Quintet

New to me (and courtesy of a gift from my wife who heard them on the radio) comes this splendid jazz band from Helsinki. Their website can be found here. They sell themselves as late 50s / early 60s straight ahead jazz influenced with a touch of latin. Certanly can't get them on the trades' description act - if you like, for example, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Lou Donaldson, Art Blakey et al from that era then you'll probably find something here you like. I have the CD on for the first time as I write this and there are some great tunes - just up is "Case Study", with a finger snappin' female vocal scatting over the top of a laid back classic 60s jazz sound. In parts it reminds me of where The Style Council were partly coming from and aiming for with D C Lee's superb vocalising. Stand out tune so far? "Straight Up" - which could be Mongo Santamaria meets Hank Mobley

Nice...


No comments: