Thursday, March 12, 2009

Beggin' you for "Mercy"...

Thanks to the ever brilliant RSS feeds from Modculture I was alerted to the recent release (9th March 09) of a cover of Duffy's "Mercy". Now I really liked that song regardless of any backlash prompted by her subsequent rise to fame and of course the video was good fun. However the Third Degree version on Acid Jazz (check their MySpace site for a streaming audio version) is great and apparently picking up radio plays. This is a bit earthier and has echoes of Spencer Davis thrown in for good measure. This will cost you six quid with UK postage from their ebay site. I believe it's a limited release so pick up your copy now (if you want - it's not obligatory obviously!)

PS - talking of "beggin.." (see the post header) I finally got to listen to the Frankie Valli original of the Timebox classic now bastardised by some dance outfit. It still doesn't match Timebox I have to say, but still has a certain "charm"

PPS - just listened to the streaming audio version again and at about 2:16 I swear there's a riff lifted straight from "There Was A Time" (Gene Chandler rather than JB I think) - I'm sad I know...

No comments: