Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another CDR - just for TJB


Tim just posted he had a load of the old comps I did (and so he has). Infact I was inspired to do one aimed at what then were his fave style of tracks, at least he was nice enough to say they were. On the back of the Fatboy Slim single I let my imagination run riot again and came up with "Jazz Soul Brother". But it did what it said on the tin pretty much:

Check the old style flyer as well...





Freddie Hubbard - Return of the Prodigal Son
Clarence Wheeler & the Enforcers - Right On
The Clique - Wormin’
Oscar Brown Jr - Mr Kicks
Jackie Lee - The Duck
Linda Jones - My Heart Needs A Break
Soul Shakers - I’m Getting Weaker
Ray Redmond - Ain’t That Terrible
Billy Preston - Greazee Pt 2
James Taylor Quartet - Blow Up
Sugar Pie DeSanto - Do The Whoopee
Aztecs - Damelo Baby
Ray Barretto - New York Soul
Monguito Santamaria - Juicy
Ivan “Boogaloo” Joe Jones - Black Whip
Young Disciples - Move On (Lynch Mob Beats)
Terry Callier - Look At Me Now
Etta James - Mellow Fellow
James Brown - Shhhhhhh! (For A Little While)
Jimmy Smith - Mission Impossible
Jack Constanzo & Gerry Woo - Green Onions
Montego Joe - Fat Man
Ray Barretto - Right On

What we have here is a mix of latin / boogaloo / soul and one slightly left field modern (ish) tune from the Young Disciples, whch is basically some rather groovy hammond organ and flute looped over some tasty beats. In my mind the best thing to come out of Talkin' Loud with one great album "Road To Freedom"

Anyway, this CDR kicks off with some well tasty jazz and rumbles straight into one of my favourite funk / soul / hammond work outs from Clarence Wheeler. I have to play this again soon! Then into The Clique, which I picked up from an early Acid Jazz "Totally Wired" album. I assume this is the same 80s revival JTQ-influenced band? Sounds great anyway.

"Permit me to introduce myself, my name is Mr Kicks, I dwell in a dark dominion down by the River Styx" - oh yes. Vocal jazz at its finger clickin' darkest - epitome of cool. But a pig to dance to!

Via a quick Mirwood classic and back into another couple of tracks from the aforementioned Loma compilations from the previous post. I'm a sucker for OTT soul with a big build up and crescendo, especially well the vocals are as good as Linda Jones. This doesn't disappoint. Add in the Soul Shakers and Ray Redmond (which again I really ought to play again - boogaloo meets soul meets shingaling in a whole mess of dance chaos!)

By way of hammond mayhem from Billy Preston and JTQ at their simplest and finest before they got, to my mind, a bit heavy and Led Zep fixated, we get to some serious club soul from smokey basement clubs - see also the Etta James

Time for some latin and what on earth are the Aztecs talking about? But some great latin boogaloo swiftly followed by ne of my all time fave latin soul numbers "New York Soul" - 'scuse me whilst I have a quick slide across the carpet. Then from when I had a phase of buying some Venezualen (I think) Fania imports comes Monquito Santamaria geting juicy all over the place throwing pips and fruit peel all over the dance floor.

Sampled or covered at the time by I can't recall who comes Boogaloo Joe Jones rather excellent "Black Whip" and the YDs and then into more low down gritty 60s club soul pausing to take in Terry Caller's masterpiece (well, one of them!). This oozes class - just look at him now. Etta James could be singing about suited and booted Mods and Mr Brown throws organ riffs and mad mumbling all over the shop, taken froma German Mojo Dancefloor Jazz compilation (volume 2 I think). Next up my hero "god on a hammond organ" taken from a reissue 12" which i think also had "House of Bamboo" on as well - picked up second hand far too many years ago now

Then I rounded off with more crazy latin - sucker for a cover version of well known classics just to mess with the heads of audiences expecting Booker T, a really tasty "Fat Man" taken from a latin jazz comp possibly on BGP (red and green sleeve I think - must get into my record shelves more frequently!) - and then the second track entilted Right On to finish and what a beauty.

OK - having just skimmed through these I must dig a few out for another outing soon. I like some latin and remember hearing my first slbs of it in Bournemouth in 1988 at a Mod rally. I still want Tony Middleton "Return To Spanish Harlem" but will have to make do with a tape entitled Asterix Goes Latin from that period hawked around the mod rallies for my copy! I'm not sure the price of a copy back then was helped by Mr Midleton being collectable for "To The Ends Of The Earth" as well. Apparently the flip (not that I'll ever see it now!) is on the BGP comp. Just seen it offered for 200 quid!!! Certainly won't be seeing it now!

Anyway, I've just enjoyed the last hour listening to these tunes for the first time in ages and writing drivel - enjoy!

2 comments:

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Nice! I meant it when I said they were my favorite style. They still are in many ways...that uptempo, foot stomping style.

I need to organize my discs and get all of the ones you did together. Do you need copies of anything?

harry said...

some previous memories about great fashion and fashionable person are not unforgetable