Thursday, September 16, 2010

Getting back to our roots

So after nearly 19 years at The Waterfront (November 1994 saw our first night) we've moved on to pastures new. Crowds were down and the club wanted bigger numbers and went for cheesy pop and dropped us plus Martin's soul night and the ska night. Never mind.

We've got ourselves a relaunch night at The Rumsey Wells in the centre of Norwich, down in the basement on Saturday 9th October. I've always liked downstairs venues as you feel like entering a world only you know about, making a particular effort to navigate the stairs in the dark. Once downstairs the venue has a small bar and various seating areas / snugs, a sound system and a small dance floor (no backflips here!) - but it feels right from the art on the walls, ceiling height and general look. Hopefully it will be a success and they'll have us back!

It's also prompted a re-evaluation of what I carry in terms of music. Without a huge dancefloor and the passing semi interested night club punters we can go back to basics without trying to please those who really want a 60s night rather than what we offer. I've spoiled myself with masses of CDRs of burnt singles and album tracks over recent years and neglected vinyl which doesn't even get out of the house these days. So I've been working my way through too long neglected record boxes to unearth some tracks I'd forgotten I had or haven't played out (or in!) for years. I even treated myself to a box set of awesome early RnB:


I want to try to spin tunes I've not played for a while and focus back on my loves of soul, RnB and play some more latin and hammond given an opportunity. A downstairs venue to me cries out for downright dirty tracks.

Hopefully our regulars and previous attendees will come on down.

The details:

Saturday 9th October 8 to 12

FREE

No comments: