Saturday, September 22, 2012

Dawn of Northern Soul


The Dawn Of Northern Soul
I just picked up a link to this forthcoming CD from Outta Sight entitled The Dawn of Northern Soul due for release at the end of October. Looking through some of the write up and track listing this is more in the vein of the quality Kent CDs featuring RnB and early soul rather than four to the floor Motown-esque of some CDs. I wasn't there but I'm not sure how many of these tunes wold have featured at Wigan (but maybe the Twisted Wheel?)

What we have here is more early RnB, dare I say post Rock n Roll style gaining favour over the recent  decade and certainly featuring a whole lot more on Steve and my playlists. Here is that listing:


1. Big Maybelle - I've Got A Feeling
2. Danny Owens - You're A Little Too Late
3. Grover Mitchell - That's A Good Idea
4. Marie Knight - To Be Loved By You
5. Varetta Dillard - That's Why I Cry
6. Sherri Taylor & "Singin'" Sammy Ward - Oh Lover
7. H B Barnum - How Many More Times
8. The Wanderers - Somebody Else's Sweetheart
9. Lula Reed - Puddentane
10. Barrett Strong - Misery
11. Little Jimmy Griffin - If Things Don't Change
12. Terry Timmons - Got Nobody To Love
13. Billy Gales - I'm Hurting
14. Freddie Gorman - Just For You
15. Jeanette "Baby" Washington - Let Love Go By
16. Jackie Brenston with Ike Turner's Orchestra - You Ain't The One
17. Charlie Baker - You Crack Me Up
18. Betty James - I'm A Little Mixed Up
19. Willie Wright & The Sparklers With Jesse Anderson - I'm Gonna Leave You Baby And I'm Goin' Away To Stay
20. Buddy Ace - This Little Love Of Mine
21. Betty O'Brien - She'll Be Gone
22. Maximilian - The Snake
23. Ernie K - Doe - A Certain Girl
24. Joe Tex - Boys Will Be Boys
25. Sidney Barnes - Wait
26. Goria Lynne - You Don't Have To Be A Tower Of Strength


I've loved "A Certain Girl" for decades since first hearing it on an LP I borrowed from Forest Hill library in London in the early 80s as my exploration of soul began to expand. The LP was Ooh Poo Pa Do Early 60s Soul 60-65. Also on there was the mighty Leon Hayward "She's With Her Other Love", which I eventually got on a white Imperial! That really must feature in my sets again:


Happy hunting and if anyone gets the CD and fancies posting a review please do so. I also see there was a previous CD in a similar vein The Age of Northern Soul which includes Laverne Baker and Jimmy Ricks "You're The Boss" - worth the admission fee alone!

No comments: