Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Popeye Ska

For some time now I've suspected that TV and / or advertising agencies have been infiltrated by people of my sort of age and musical background. Over the last half dozen years I've heard "Bert's Apple Crumble" used as a TV trailer for Radio 2, a TV quiz theme tune using "Here Kitty Kitty" ( a "big beat" cover of Jimmy Smith "The Cat"), a couple of Felix cat food ads using classic northern tunes, various versions of "Have Love Will Travel" plus the whole Nina Simone yoghurt extravaganza. Is there a cabal of ageing mods and soulies now in positions of influence in the corridors of TV power?

By the way, check out this advertisement theme tune look up site for those elusive add tunes...

So imagine my surprise hearing a snippet of the Granville Williams Orchestra "Popeye Ska" in a part of "Three Men in Another Boat" on the BBC the other day. I've had this on original vinyl on GWO for maybe 18 years and didn't think it was the sort of thing your average "I've got Trojan History Volumes 1 to 100" person would have heard. I didn't think it was amongst the "usual suspects" of ska and reggae tracks. Is there a rudie at the controls of the BBC?

Having said that a quick google suggested a number of compilations with this on - respect to those labels for picking up on a great tune and going beyond the obvious.

If any of you know who's responsible for getting these tunes onto the telly please let me know - more power to them

Get "Popeye" here:



Or



Trojan Reggae For Kids - Gregory Isaacs doing "Puff The Magic Dragon"? I can hear the Daily Mail headlines now...!

No comments: