Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Soul - live at ... Theatre Royal?

Ok so maybe not the ring to it as James Brown at The Apollo (vols 1 and 2) from 1962, but Saturday 26th Jan sees Eddie Flord, Geno Washington and Pauline Black in Norwich - details here. I've never actually seen Geno, but understand his live shows are energetic. Eddie Floyd is a stone cold legend.

I've only ever seen Pauline Black in the first incarnation of Selecter, live at Lewisham Odeon (1981?) supported by I think The Bodysnatchers. The days when the sieg heiling bonehead contingent made their presence seen, heard and felt. Infact Selecter got adverse comments I seem to recall from, of all papers, the Daily Telegraph along the lines of "Don't Rock With The Sieg Heilers". Now firstly the stereotypical Telegraph reader would more likely than not have preferred the NF / BM nut jobs than Selecter and secondly it clearly escaped the notice of the journalist of the colour of most of the band. They were hardly going to invite these people into the gigs with open arms, let's be honest. Unfortunately I can't find an online reference to the article. I'm sure I didn't dream it though.

1 comment:

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Hey Phil! Hows it going? Its been a while which is why I'm dropping you a line here. I wanna send you a copy of the Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings album. I'm working with them now & you'll love them. Please email when you have a minute.

Tim B, NYC